About the Authors
- Saroj K. Young, Diana N. J. Lockwood
- Clinical Research Unit, Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
- Jorg M. Ponnighaus
- Karonga Prevention Study, Chilumba, Karonga District, Malawi
- Suman Jain, Sujai Suneetha
- Blue Peter Research Centre, LEPRA Society, Hyderabad, India
- Sebastian Lucas
- Department of Histopathology, Kings College London School of Medicine, St Thomas' Hospital, London, United Kingdom
- Douglas B. Young
- Centre for Molecular Microbiology and Infection, Division of Investigative Sciences, South Kensington Campus, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
- Paul E. M. Fine
- Infectious Disease Epidemiology Unit, Department of Epidemiology and Population Sciences, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
The authors have declared that no competing interests exist.
Conceived and designed the experiments: SY DL DY PF. Performed the experiments: SY. Analyzed the data: SY PF. Contributed reagents/materials/analysis tools: SY JP SJ SL SS DY. Wrote the paper: SY DY PF. Responsible for the Hyderabad research project: DL. Wrote the first draft of the paper: DY. PI for the Malawi research Programme: PF. Responsible for extracting DNA and genotyping all samples: SY. Did all the clinical, epidemiological, and biopsy work in Malawi: JP. Responsible for the clinical, epidemiological, and biopsy work in India: SJ and SS. Responsible for histopathology (and archiving) of Malawi biopsy material: SL.