About the Authors
- Ibne Karim M. Ali, C. Graham Clark
- Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
- Ibne Karim M. Ali, Shahram Solaymani-Mohammadi, William A. Petri Jr.
- Division of Infectious Diseases and International Health, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia, United States of America
- Shahram Solaymani-Mohammadi
- Division of Intestinal and Genital Protozoal Diseases, Department of Medical Parasitology and Mycology, School of Public Health and Institute of Public Health Research, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
- Jasmine Akhter, Rashidul Haque
- International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Shantanu Roy
- Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
- Chiara Gorrini, Adriana Calderaro
- Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Section of Microbiology, University of Parma, Parma, Italy
- Sarah K. Parker
- Department of Pediatrics, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center and The Children's Hospital, Aurora, Colorado, United States of America
W. A. Petri, Jr. received research support from TechLab, Inc. and royalties from a patent license agreement with TechLab for a diagnostic test for amebiasis. These royalties accrue to the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene without benefit to W. A. Petri, Jr.
Conceived and designed the experiments: CC. Performed the experiments: IA SS JA CG. Analyzed the data: IA SS CG AC RH WP CC. Contributed reagents/materials/analysis tools: SR AC SP RH. Wrote the paper: IA WP CC. Coordinated collection of Bangladesh samples: RH. Coordinated collection of Italy samples: AC. Coordinated collection of USA samples: SP.