PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases Checklist for Revised Manuscripts
Please check the Author Guidelines and Table and Figure Guidelines first! The following list highlights the most common problems with revised papers.
1. For the response to reviewers, please ensure that:
- Your revisions address the specific points made by each reviewer. In your cover letter you should list your responses to all the reviewers' and editors' comments and the changes you have made to the manuscript. Please upload this as a REBUTTAL LETTER file or as a new COVER LETTER file.
- We also ask authors to provide a marked-up copy of the changes made from the previous article file as a SUPPORTING INFORMATION file.
2. In the text:
- You should use SI values throughout where applicable.
- If you are reporting p values they should be exact unless less than 0.001. p values should never be reported in isolation but must be accompanied by the figures from which they are derived, along with a measure of error (eg mean and SD, or 95% CIs).
- If you report relative risks, you must also report the associated absolute risk.
- The abstract should be formatted to PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases style (under the headings Background, Methods and Findings, and Conclusions) and should include the theoretical background to the study; the principle techniques used and the main results (with numerical values where necessary) and the clinical implications or future avenues of research.
- The end of the introduction should include a brief statement of the intention of the paper (e.g., "We aimed to investigate the association of x with y."
- Your discussion should start with a brief summary of your main findings. The discussion must include a section assessing the limitations of the study.
3. Please also ensure that:
- You have uploaded your ARTICLE file as an editable file (in a Word or RTF file). Any tables also need to be included within the article file.
- You have declared all funding sources and stated what their role was, in the financial disclosure field in our submission system. Please include this sentence as well: "The funders had no role in study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript." If this statement is not correct, you must describe the role of any sponsors or funders, and amend the aforementioned sentence as needed.
- You have named in the Methods section of your paper the relevant institutional review board or research ethics committee that approved your study, and stated that informed consent was obtained from all participants. You have stated whether the informed consent was written or oral. For oral informed consent, you have stated in the Methods section of your paper: (a) why written consent could not be obtained, (b) that the IRB approved the use of oral consent, and (c) how oral consent was documented.
- You have uploaded any figures as separate FIGURE files (in EPS or TIFF format). In most cases, at print size, resolution should be 600 dots-per-inch (dpi, which is roughly the same as ppi).
- You have indicated your agreement to PLOS open access license in the URL (if this included within the decision letter )
Any questions should initially be directed to PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases (plosntds [at] plos.org).